Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The rising claims tide

Felix Gaehtgens over at Kuppinger Cole blogged about a new webinar series he is hosting on claims. Claims technology is rising in importance as more and more developers and companies start to externalize - or liberate - authentication and authorization from their applications. If you aren't familiar with claims then I would suggest checking out Felix's webinar series.

I briefly laughed while I was reading Felix's description of the first webinar in his series - kicking off on January 14th - which is about Sun's OpenSSO platform. One of the topic areas mentioned is "OpenSSO's proprietary SDK". It was funny to see "open" and "proprietary" in the same sentence.

Despite the laugh, Felix does make a great point. We do need standardization in this area. As Felix states: "Of course I have a side agenda here as well. What I am hoping is that in the end this will promote interoperability – we’re sure that there are some similarities in APIs and services, and hope that vendors will standardise – as users learn more about about these, they’ll put vendors under pressure to standardise their APIs and services."

I completely agree with Felix but I suspect we may see a claims "metadirectory" before we get claims standardized. Some people are going to use "OpenSSO's proprietary SDK" and some people are going to use Microsoft's Geneva and some people are going to use... You get what I mean, right?
in reference to:
"Of course I have a side agenda here as well What I am hoping is that in the end this will promote interoperability – we’re sure that there are some similarities in APIs and services, and hope that vendors will standardise – as users learn more about about these, they’ll put vendors under pressure to standardise their APIS and services"
- Webinar series on Claims | Felix Gaehtgens (view on Google Sidewiki)

Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,

No comments: