I was the second last speaker of the day and as I sat through the presentations - all of which were excellent - I began to feel like I had entered a time-warp. Back in 1993, my career forked from the mainframe world of my first employer to a new employer who wanted my technical evaluation of something called Banyan VINES. Fast-forward to Toronto and suddenly I am hearing, throughout the day, terms I have not heard in over 15 years...
- Daz-Dee (DASD) - Direct Access Storage Device - A mainframe disk drive.
- Vee-Talk (VTOC) - Volume table of contents - The "directory" for the DASD.
- Jez (JES) - Job Entry System for MVS.
- Emm-Vee-Ess (MVS) - Multiple Virtual System - The operating system for IBM mainframes.
- Rack-Eff (RACF) -Resource Access Control Facility. Security and access control system for IBM mainframes.
- Kicks (CICS) - Customer Information Control System. General purpose monitor for terminal-oriented and inter-system transaction processing in z/OS.
This week (Oct 5-7) I will be speaking at Digital Identity World 2008 in Hamburg, Germany. Will I see you there?
identity management, Avaleris, Itergy, Quest Software, QSFT