I just finished a customer tour in Calgary, Canada. I met three customers a day for three days. All significant customers. Of those 9 customers here’s what they were using for identity management in their environment:
- Sun’s Identity Manager: 6 customers
- Novell DirXML: 2 customers
- Novell Identity Manager: 1 customer
What were the common threads across these 8 customers?
- We never progressed further than the proof-of-concept. We didn’t POC our whole environment and when we tried to expand the POC scope into production we failed. We never saw the ROI we were promised.
- Every time we needed a change to the product we had to pay far too much.
- Everything required too much care and feeding to ensure the product was working.
- We needed specialized talent to keep it running.
- The consultants treated Active Directory as if it was only an LDAP directory. They did not understand Active Directory.
- Every time we need to change the structure of Active Directory we had to pay to re-code all of the scripts that were written.
- I was paying more in maintenance and re-programming the product than the cost of hiring a few people to do it manually. So I hired some staff and threw the product out.