Thursday, April 10, 2008

Excuse me, but is that liquid nitrogen in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Posted by Picasa

I'm at RSA and one of the things I'm doing is visiting various booths, talking to customers, etc. I'll be posting about a number of things over the next few days but when I saw this I started to laugh...

The background for this is the "cooled RAM attack" which you may have read about:

The new attacks exploit the fact that information stored in a computer’s temporary working memory, or RAM, does not disappear immediately when a computer is shut off or when the memory chip is taken from the machine, as is commonly thought. Under normal circumstances, the data gradually decays over a period of several seconds to a minute. The process can be slowed considerably using simple techniques to cool the chips to low temperatures.

Fortunately, the folks from SecureDoc and Seagate have solved this problem through software. I solved it without spending a nickel with the additional benefit of increasing both my physical fitness and cardiovascular system:

If I happen to see someone coming at me (or my laptop), towing a vat of liquid nitrogen I run away, quickly.

If there was an award for the stupidest marketing campaign I'd nominate this one.

Technorati Tags:
,

1 comment:

Luke said...

"Great post. I agree that you will need somekind of
memory technique to remember things. I recommend you to visit this website at www.photographic-memory.orgas it has plenty of useful tips on memory techniques and ways to improve your memory. "